2.06.2015

January Loves



  
Since spring is slowly approaching and I was starting to get bored of the muskier scents of winter, I wanted to transition into a softer, fresher scent.  One of my favorite scents for a while now has been Lovestruck, by Vera Wang, and it's the one I reached more for the month of January.  I think it is a great fragrance to bring in the new year because it is not a complete change from the heavy musky scents but instead of being full of spices, it's much more floral and romantic.  Another fragrance I reached towards and also recently discovered (thanks to my sister) was Daisy Dream by Marc Jacobs.  This scent is definitely much sweeter than Lovestruck but still has that floral scent to it that I love.  To me, both of these fragrances yell SPRING and that's great for me because I have to say that it is my favorite season.  

 

I don't tend to wear a lot of makeup everyday but I do like to use a face moisturizer, especially at this time of the year.  One I have been loving is Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream, by Fresh.  I found that this moisturizer is great for winter days when my skin tends to be drier.  It is very hydrating without being oily or greasy and best of all, it always leaves my face feeling very smooth.  This face moisturizer also has a fresh scent to it, which to me smells like cucumber and lemon.  Because of it's fresh scent, I like to use it best in the morning.

The second type of moisturizer that was my favorite for the month of January was actually a hand lotion.  Because of the weather, my hands will get very dry and this shea butter hand cream from Victoria's Secret has actually healed certain painful cuts on my hands.  I know, I know, this might be TMI but this has seriously helped my hands heal from those painful little cuts that feel like paper cuts. (haha!)

Like I mentioned before, I don't usually wear makeup and when I do, it's very natural, so I like to use the Burt's Bees Lip Crayon in the shade Niagara Overlook.  It's just the perfect natural looking pink for me and to make it even more natural, I will dab some regular lip balm before applying it.




If you couldn't already tell, my favorite color is purple and lilac is my weakness...as well as planners and cute notebooks...   So when I saw this lilac planner at Marshall's while doing some Christmas shopping, I just could NOT leave without it.  I had actually seen a green one first and when I kept digging through all the notebooks in the stationary section, behold, a lilac one!  At Marshall's I found it for $9.99 and I believe online it runs for about $25.

So another one of my favorites is actually a TV series, Gilmore Girls.  I started watching this TV show towards the end of last year (yes, on Netflix) and I went through the first couple of seasons very quickly but during the holidays I took a little break from it and now I'm finally on the last season.  I like that this show is a drama, which are my favorite kind of TV shows, but it also has some comedic moments.  Also, if you're into old/classic films, like me, it's fun to recognize certain lines and films that are mentioned throughout the series.  I'm really hoping the ending won't disappoint though. 




And finally, Alice.  I discovered the Alice book series, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, when I was in the 5th grade and I'm now in my early twenties.  I'll be honest and say that I judged a book by it's cover... but for this one, I'm glad I did.  When I checked this book out in the library, I did not realize it was a series until I got to the end of the book.  It listed the rest of the books that belong to the Alice series, so of course I went back to the library and checked out the rest.  A few years ago I rediscovered them so I began reading the most recent books in the series.  Soon I found out that the author was still writing the series so I kept an eye out for any new releases and there were a few.  At last, the 25th and final book to the Alice series, Now I'll Tell You Everything, was released in 2013 and I grabbed a copy as soon as it was.  In January I reread it and fell in love with it all over again.  I think this book would need a whole post for itself because there's just so many good things to say about it.  If you haven't read it, I definitely recommend reading it, no matter what age you are.  The books will make you laugh and cry for sure but what I liked the most was that Phyllis Reynolds Naylor did a great job in making Alice feel real.  Alice will feel like she is actually your friend and that you're a part of her friends.  You might even want to search for her on Instagram or Facebook but then remember she's a fictional character... at least that's what happened to me... I definitely feel like I grew up with Alice and I know other girls around the world feel the same way.  I also love to hear what others have to say about the series so I often like to visit the Alice Mckinley website where the author will reply to readers.  (Be careful of spoilers though!  There might be some.)  If you have read any of the books, let me know how you discovered them or if someone introduced them to you.  



*Disclaimer-Not affiliated with links.






No comments:

Post a Comment